Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Biology Sample Cover Letter for Postdoctoral Position


xxx xxxx
105 Quiet Street
Charlottesville, VA 22901

Big City Biomedical Research Institute
Big City, Great State

RE: Job 2007-00

June 13, 2013
I wish to apply for the Postdoctoral position in the lab of Dr. Joe Taylor advertised on the Big City Biomedical Research Institute web site. I am in the process of completing my doctoral degree in Microbiology at the University of Virginia under the direction of Dr. Good Mentor, and I expect to receive my Ph.D. at the end of August, 2007. The subject of my dissertation is renal macrophage recruitment in a murine model of hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS). I believe your position in viral immunology would be an ideal fit for my talents, and I know I will be a productive contributor to your group.

During my graduate research, I have developed a tremendous interest in and passion for research in the area of the host-pathogen response and immune regulation. I have fully defined the first complete small animal model of HUS using purified Shiga toxin 2 (Stx2) and lipopolysaccharide (LPS) to recapitulate the human disease. This mouse model has allowed our lab to dissect the pathophysiology of the disease as related to the host immune response, receptor signaling, and efficacy of potential therapeutics. Specifically, I have studied Stx2 plus LPS induced macrophage recruitment to the kidney and have found that proximal tubule cells produce the chemoattractants MCP-1, MIP-1, and RANTES, and that MCP-1 and RANTES primarily cause the renal macrophage infiltration. Additionally, I have collaborated with Adenosine Therapeutics, LLC, a company located in Charlottesville, VA, on the evaluation of specific A2A adenosine receptor agonist as a potential therapeutic in this mouse model of HUS. I have found that this receptor agonist inhibits the microthrombus formation associated with the renal disease and may be useful in the treatment of HUS. My work has resulted in two first author publications, and a third on the topic of therapeutics is being prepared for submittal.

I am a highly motivated, creative individual who works well independently as wells as collaboratively on teams of scientists from diverse backgrounds. I have also had experience mentoring and training technicians and undergraduate students with little prior research skills. While my research background is not in virology, I am quick to learn new techniques and I have a strong interest in both bacterial and viral pathogenesis and immunology. I am excited to continue working in the fields of infectious diseases and immunology, but also I look forward to expanding my scientific knowledge and skill set to encompass the research areas in which your lab specializes. For example, I am particularly intrigued by your novel anti-HIV vaccine research mentioned on your laboratory website. I am also certain that BCBRI would be an ideal place for me to pursue research and develop professionally. I am confident that I would be well suited for a research career in the area of biotechnology and pharmaceuticals due to my strong interest in investigating the pathology of human disease and designing the best strategies to combat it.

I have also submitted my curriculum vitae, which includes my publication record and list of references as well as my contact information. I would be happy to submit any additional materials at your request. I look forward to your response, and I appreciate your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
xxx xxxx
Enclosures

More samples
Sample -1

Popular Posts